Sunday, December 20, 2009

The Sheltering Sky - Paul Bowles

I started reading this book during summer and the weather outside was just over 30 degrees. Probably not a good book choice as it was based in Africa. So reading this book I felt everything that was going on in the book so much more. I felt the heat that they were feeling and thus it magnified their emotions and loneliness.

I always wanted to go to Africa, but sadly this book as somewhat changed my mind about how great it was going to be. The two main characters were married and going through a rough patch in their relationship and considering the location they were in the author protrayed perfectly how lonely these two characters were and how differently they both were handling it.

I enjoyed reading about Eric and his mother as they always brought a bit of drama with them and left complete questions and chaos behind them. The character of Turner was also good, and totaly relatable.

In the end it got a bit out of control, not so much with Port dying, as that is believable, but in Kit's becoming a sex slave and being locked up for months. Not sure if I would have ended the book that way, but the author gets points for suprising me...

I quite enjoyed reading this book. It was refreshing to read about something different as the African Sahara and about characters that were very far from perfect. The author didn't describe either of the characters which was good as it doesn't really matter.

The book showed that there are very different places in the world and don't just go somewhere without a little research...

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment