Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Pride and Prejudice - Jane Austin

I know. Where was I living if I never read or watched the movie before now?? Well I haven’t, and even coming into it with some scepticism, I was pleasantly surprised. For a book that was written in the early 1800's, it was easy to read and very relatable today. I just loved the characters and as every woman who has read this book, fell in love with Mr. Darcy. I loved him from the beginning. And this is where the author’s skill at writing came out. Even though the author wrote the character having bad characteristics and bad manners and actions, you couldn’t help but still love him and want to know more about him. You just knew that there was something underneath the surface and just couldn’t wait to find out. On the opposite, the author talked up and romanticised the character of Mr. Wickham, but the whole time you knew you couldn’t trust him. Brilliant.

There were times where my boyfriend would walk past and laugh at me because I was reading it with this HUGE grin on my face and kept stopping to sigh... It really awakened my emotions and I felt everything that was going on with all the characters. I was thinking about them and their lives even at work.
The character of Elizabeth was great. As I mentioned before, being written in the early 1800’s you still could put yourself in her shoes and totally relate. Of course there were times in the book where you lost patience with them and just wanted them to get it on, but that’s the beauty of a great book.

Lesson Learnt:
Well obviously the lesson here is don’t succumb to first impressions and judge people. Until you really get to know someone you shouldn’t cast judgement, because you never really know what is going on in their lives. I was always taught this from a young age from my mother so it just highlighted this knowledge. One example of this is, one day I was racing to the Vet’s because my dog’s face was swelling up from being bitten by something. I remember all the drivers on the way yelling abuse at me for overtaking them and speeding. Some drivers were actually quite aggressive and scary. They just assumed I was a reckless driver and a hoon, not realising that I actually had a reason for it. So next time I see someone in a rush behind the wheel, I don’t judge because they might actually have an emergency.
Take care on the road and don’t be prejudice...

2 comments:

  1. I have seen the movie and am still getting through the book so know that you are not alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kopykats

    I can't find an email address for you, so please forgive me intruding on your comment wall. I’d like to invite you to write about your favorite books at www.bookdrum.com, where you can add information, images, video, music and links to illustrate and explore the books.

    Right now, we're running a $3,000 Tournament and we'll be offering contract work to the best entries.

    Best wishes

    Hector Macdonald
    Editor, Book Drum

    ReplyDelete