Monday, February 22, 2010

The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald


It's hard to write a review if the book your writing about didn't stir up any emotions whatsoever. This is how I feel about The Great Gatsby.
Yes it was well written, and yes there was a good storyline but it was flat. The characters were ok, but the whole time I'm reading it I had to force myself to try and remember what I read last.
It did pick up at the end of the book, as there was a bit of action and drama, but it left you feeling a bit depressed. But not even in a real way, sort of a 'oh, ok, poor guy'.
Maybe the author's intention was to make you feel the way everyone felt about Gatsby. There's this huge hype about him and the book, but you don't really feel anything for him. Same as him in the book. Everyone talked about him and attended his weekly parties but in the end no-body felt enough for him to see him through to the end. That's my insight into this book anyway.

Lesson Learnt:
Don't waste your life chasing an illusion, or you will end up with nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment