Monday, February 8, 2010

Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I've heard some mixed reviews when it comes to this book and was curious to see what my take would be, and I ended up loving it. It's funny because now that I have to come up with some reasons why I loved it I don't really have a definite answer. There wasn't much action, it just described the lives of a few people and the love between them. I felt like I really understood what the author was trying to get across and some paragraphs really touched me and made me think about marriage in a new light.
The characters were strong and somewhat sombre but I didn't mind it. I actually think that the author did a good job depicting love and how it affects our lives. How it can be the only thing keeping you going, even if it's just an illusion.

I'm not sure if I liked the ending all that much but it wasn't bad. I just did not see the ending that the author chose. It felt somwhat deflated. It would've been better with a more pronounced ending.

Lesson Learnt:
(Direct Quote from book)
'It was against all scientific reason for two people who hardly knew each other with no ties at all between them, with different characters, different upbringings, and even different genders, to suddenly find themselves committed to living together to sleeping in the same bed, to sharing two destinies that perhaps were fated to go in opposite directions. The only possible bond that can keep them together is something as fickle and improbable as love'.

No comments:

Post a Comment