Friday, September 3, 2010

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry


This book evoked emotions in me I didn't know I could feel towards a book. I have to admit it wasn't very enjoyable to read. It was miserable and depressing, so sometimes I had to put it down and walk away. I'm a positive person that still watches cartoons so I don't like reading depressing books because I get so involved but this book was somehow different. Yes everthing that could go wrong did, but there amongst all the badness, there were touches of humour and humility.
I loved all the characters and they seem real. Their stories were so sad and touching they changed the way I thought about people and the world. I know this sounds so deep and I know it doesn't seem like me, but this is what the book made me feel. After reading it I couldn't stop thinking about all the characters and going over the storyline in my head. It made you appreciate your own life and how easy we have it. During the course of reading the book I don't think I complained about anything. Not even having to go to work. I actually cherished my job.
And the sad thing is while you are reading the tragedies that we as a society can't even comprehend, I know deep down that somewhere in the world these things do happen. People do suffer like this, and it wasn't just the author exagerating for effect. However, it did also teach me that people are strong and can survive anything.
I had my doubts about the ending, but after analysing the book in my head for so long it was a great lesson. I don't want to give the ending away because I hope someone will read this book. If you do read it don't dismiss the ending, after thinking it over you will realise it's perfect.
Life-changing book!


So many lessons learnt from this book!
1. Some people can seem mean and even downright nasty but don't judge them. You don't know what they have been through in their life to make them like that.
2. Don't sell yourself short, people can survive anything.
3. Be happy and grateful for everything you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment