Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mao’s Last Dancer – Li Cunxin


I knew before I started reading this book that I would love it. It took a lot of effort and persistance to try and avoid anything to do with the movie because my mum and sister saw it and loved it. But I stuck to my guns and did not watch it, because I knew that if the movie was good the book will be awesome. And it was.
Not only was it motivating but it was also heart-warming. I loved how this book portrayed his family and their connection to each other. I literally had tears in my eyes every time he got reunited with his mother. It really showed how with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work you can become something and change your fate. Guaranteed he needed luck to get selected to try out, but no one can deny his effort and persistence.
A great aspect of the book which made me enjoy it a little bit more was the little customs and stories from the village. The remedies that were described to cure diseases and illnesses were amusing.
Lesson Learnt:
Persistence is the key to success. Nothing great happens overnight and nothing with substance happens quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment