Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Others

I have read many books these past months that haven’t received a mention on my review page. This is because they haven’t made enough impression on me to write up a full review. I tend to only write up reviews for books that have affected me in some way. Otherwise what is the point? I don’t like to criticize books that I didn’t like, as in most cases it’s not the books fault but mine. If I read a book today, that I didn’t’ like, I might read it again in a few years and love it. The book hasn’t changed at all, but it’s my growth that has made the difference. So the books that I’m about to list are definitely not bad books. On the contrary they are excellent books, but I just didn’t’ connect with them. Who knows, maybe you will...

• Tom Jones – Henry Fielding
Some hints of genius but so much fluff that the book should have gone on a much needed diet.

• Farenheit – Ray Bradbury
Readable but didn’t get the hype around this book.

• The heart is a lonely Hunter – Carson McCullers
If you’re in need of something depressing, this is your book.

• Middlesex – Jeffrey Eugenides
Groundbreaking definitely, but did not give the details you really wanted to know and by the end you felt really cheated.

• The Age of Innocence – Edith Wharton
Meh

• Stranger in a Strange Land – Robert A. Heinlein
Again some bits were good and I enjoyed them but there was just as much of the bits that bored me.

• The Giver – Lois Lowry
Short but storyline was good. To me it felt like it was missing some magic though.

• The Bridge of San Luis Rey – Thornton Wilder
When I read the back of the book I thought it would be great, but to me it didn’t deliver as good as it could have.

• The Catcher in the Rye – J.D. Salinger
The main character had no motivation or goals and it rubbed off when you read this book. That’s why I have no motivation to write a review.

• How to be Good – Nick Hornby
Had some good bits in it and was interesting but to me it wasn’t great.

• A high Wind in Jamaica – Richard Hughes
Good book, but didn’t really get into it. Was looking forward to it being over.

No comments:

Post a Comment